Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.
Monday, June 25, 2007

I admit - I am Scared of the Bird Flu

 I'm sure I have a much better chance of getting struck by lightning, but there's something about the bird flu that spooks me.  Maybe it's the fact that the government has proved to be so completely inept at taking care of its citizens lately.  Maybe it's the law of averages that says that eventually we're going to get hit by a plague, and a nice little reminders that CNN provides us all the time.

Maybe it's the progression of this strange bird flu that seems to be migrating its way around the world and like the West Nile virus did not so long ago.  The problem is that this one seems a little bit more deadly.

The dead birds were found in two Bavarian lakes, which were cordoned off after the find, the first cases in the country this year.

People were asked to stay away from waterfowl after the five swans, one duck and one goose all tested positive for the H5N1 virus, German media said.

Source: People's Daily Online -- Bird flu discovered in Germany

This one seems to have a little close to home since my ancestors are from Bavaria.  Assure the bird flu has defined passage from Amsterdam to New York and then settle west Illinois or what have you just like my ancestors did it right?

Unfortunately that's not right, I'll have to do is fly across the ocean, and that seems to happen all the time for birds.  That's what birds do.

Living with fear of anything is one of the aspects of the human condition and it doesn't slow me down, and I don't really lose any sleep over this one anymore than I lose sleep over the potential of an asteroid hitting the planet.

But if I see a duck sneeze, I'm probably not going to offer a handkerchief.

0 comments: